Monday, November 3, 2008

Dissident Women: Chapter 2

This chapter had an amazing amout of information on the women of the EZLN. When thinking of insurgents I don't usually think of women being a large part of that. It was interesting to read about how the population of the EZLN is at least 30% women. Something else that was interesting was how the women were able to hold high ranks if they were able to handle it.
A thought that came to mind when reading about the women that were fighting for their rights was how American women think of womens rights in other countries. The common idea is that these women are helpless and they need a higher power to come into their country and fight FOR them. It is great to read that these women are doing it on their own with the help of the men of their country, and there is less help from United States.
The gender demands requested by the Zapatistas seem to me like basic needs. Women of America do have restrictions on what they can and cannot do, but for these women of Chiapas, they are wanting to have food, respect, the same ability to learn as anyone else. The things that they want are things that we as American women already have, though some have husbands that beat them. The difference there, is that the husbands in Chiapas beat their wives as a way to educate them into doing what they are brought up to do. It alsmost seemed like a cultural thing, but for American husbands, it is not really a cultural thing.
The idea of fixed marriage scares me. I could not fathom the idea of marrying a man that I am not in love with. I also could not deal with having loads of children that may or may not live because I cannot afford to take care of them.
This chapter was enlightening. I would lable this a strong women story. =)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I too find it interesting that these women are fighting for their basic rights. It really makes me examine my own rights that I take for granted. My right to birth control, my right to marry whomever I choose, my right to speak out on anything without fear of persecution.
Westerners are so quick to assume that women who do not yet have these rights lack the strength and ability to obtain them. Many assume that they are weaker because of them. It is refreshing to see what strength they have indeed. But it is also important to recognize the journey they have behind them and in front of them. It is a long one full of pits and bumps and triumphs.